Hunting Club > Forums > Small Game > It's Been Years
BenG1
8 Months
Premium Member
Sr. Digital Editor
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
70 posts this site
It's Been Years
It's been a long time since I've been squirrel hunting, I'd bet is's been at least five years. With my boys getting older, I'll be chasing tree rats sooner than I think. 

When's the last time you went squirrel hunting?
Ben Gustafson - Senior Digital Editor NAH and NAF

the rod tosser
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
1 posts this site
Re: It's Been Years
Simply put to darn long:  I used to love hunting squirrel and rabbit as a teenager  but life kinda got complicated after I moved away from my grandparents. My ex did not like guns so I let it go, as long as I could still go fishing i was ok with it  .   I tried go back out to my Grandparents but other family members kinda shun it as it will scare the dear away so i kinda feel unwelcome  . So i Just gave up  to much of a hassle.  I know there is public land to hunt. My son surprised me a few years back when he bought  a shot gun  so I gave him my Dads  22 single shot  bolt action Remington that i used as a kid .  I should rely go hunting with him at least once before it is to late .
I was told you have to toss it way out there .

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
15536 posts this site
I don't actually hunt squirrels, I just step out my backdoor and pop a couple with a .22, whenever I feel like cooking some up for dinner (when they're in season, that is).
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

BearNinja
6 Months
Premium Member
NAH Senior Editor
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
184 posts this site
I don't hunt squirrels either, but my girls are going to get their first taste of a tasty gray if those little devils don't quit chewing on the fascia boards of my home. I've tried diversionary methods to no avail. It's 'bout time to escalate the battle.
Luke Hartle
Senior Editor and TV Host, North American Hunter

NAFKurt
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
6 posts this site
Used to hunt the heck out of bushytails; now, it seems, I just feed 'em. Can't keep them out of the black oilers I put out for the songbirds.
Kurt Beckstrom
Editor
North American Fisherman

camprunamuk
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
74 posts this site
Last fall . I guess I'm among the few that would rather small game/upland/waterfowl hunt than deer hunt . Don't get me wrong , I do my dead level best to stick a couple of whitetails in the freezer every year , but there isn't as much enjoyment for me there.
............................................................................................................................

There's magic in a good , old honest shotgun . Give me a gun with a little character , and I'll try to honor it's history .

Vic Fowler
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
1 posts this site
I have hunted squirrel here in Oklahoma off and on all my life,  when I quit coon hunting and sold my dogs I had to have another so I got into the Mtn. Curs and moved and got out again but I now have 3 squirrel dogs, Registered Mtn. Cur male and two Feist females and looking for another small Feist or Mtn. Cur gyp as my one is 8 years and will be 9 in November.  We road hunt the Mtns. down here in S.E. Oklahoma which is a lot more fun than walking although you still get plenty of exercise going to 20 trees or better at times.  One of the most fun ways to squirrel hunt with a good dog(s) is from the back of a good mule.  Here in Oklahoma where I live 2 years ago the squirrels migrated out and have not come back like they were.  We would sometimes make as many as 25-26 trees or better in a day with the leaves off and skin the squirrels when we got back to the truck.  I have 3 sons, myself and 2 grandsons who love to squirrel hunt and eat them.  If you've never hunted with a dog you are truly missing some of the greatest times with friends or family you could have plus you get to eat what you kill.  It takes somewhere around 5075 pieces of squirrel at my house to feed myself and 5 boys but the memories from these hunts are priceless and it's a great way to get a young person to take up hunting and pass it on down to the next generation.  Our season opens here in Okla. May 15th and I will be in the Mtns. early opening day with my dogs in front of my truck enjoying the time I have in God's great woods.

O3ranger
Apprentice
2 posts this site
There was a great article in a magazine a while back about the usefulness of squirrel hunting as training for deer hunting. Basically along the lines of getting to know the area you hunt in, stalking and taking the shot on something much smaller to hone in your accuracy. I find it a good excuse to just get out in the woods with my little girl and the dog. Doesnt feed much but the variety keeps the crockpot a little different during season!

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15536 posts this site
The problem down here is that small game seasons all run the same. Thanksgiving 'til March 1st, and since deer season is August 15th to January 1st, I'm usually concentrating on deer hunting during the best time of the small game season, and then on varmints after deer season ends. Then since turkey season opens March 15th and ends on May 1st, it's getting situated and set for turkeys, along with planting food plots and hunting 'yotes 'til deer season rolls around again. I just never seem to have time to go after squirrel and rabbits, and don't think about 'em, 'til it's too late!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

tberg3334
Apprentice
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
1 posts this site
(1 vote)

My son and I have been out in the desert 3-4 times this spring shooting desert rats. I use a 22 Winchester lever action my dad gave me when I was 8 years old. Scary to think about, that was 42 years ago. My boy uses a 22 Marlin bolt action I bought for him when he was 11. He's 16 now. We have fun walking, talking and plunking those little guys running around.

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site
Not to many down here in the desert, so we try to make a yearly jaunt to the high county.  Sure is a lot of fun hunting them and then there is always a good meal after the hunt.

camprunamuk
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
74 posts this site
Goodness gracious , that skillet full of squirrel looks delicious, Fried squirrel and mashed potatoes is one of God's good meals , and a personal favorite
............................................................................................................................

There's magic in a good , old honest shotgun . Give me a gun with a little character , and I'll try to honor it's history .

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15536 posts this site
What species of squirrel is that? Down here we have a few fox squirrels, but mainly just gray squirrels, or as we call 'em "cat" squirrels. Down at ternera's he's got a lot of nice fox squirrels but he's also got some nice hardwood bottoms. compared to our pine plantations.

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site
Abert's Squirrel, also known as Tassel-eared squirrel.  This one was twenty inches long with a nine inch tail.  We took the scrapings from the skillet and made bisquits and gravey for breakfast, threw the saddles in the pressure cooker, stripped all the meat off threw in some taters and veggies added some white wine and had squirrel soup for lunch.  Went out and killed some more and started the process all over again.  Looking forward to this fall for another trip into the high country.

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15536 posts this site
As a guy on another site I visit would say "cool beans".

camprunamuk
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
74 posts this site
You're killing me , Smalls !! Lol . My stomach started grumbling halfway through that description .

czech8
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
27 posts this site
It's been way too long and it is something that I would like to do again.  Grew up in Mi. used to love sitting under Hickory nut trees and listen for chewing and barking. Then would let my Model 11 sweet 16 talk back. Moved away, someone stole the model 11 and life just got busy. I really need to reconnect to those experiences again.

BubbaBoBob
Apprentice
4 posts this site

BenG1 wrote: It's been a long time since I've been squirrel hunting, I'd bet is's been at least five years. With my boys getting older, I'll be chasing tree rats sooner than I think. 

When's the last time you went squirrel hunting?

I hunt squirrel every October in West Virginia. Will ususally bag a few more during deer season, cant hunt them untill Wednesday but if I already have my deer it gives me a reason to go out.

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15536 posts this site
I've seriously been considering buying one of these new adult air guns with the suppressor and take it into the tree stand with me during deer season. The damn tree rats eat more corn than the deer!!!!!!!!!

rc229
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
64 posts this site
A buddy of mine and our wives went out last year.
We had a blast the chicken in the basket disappeared but the squirrels survived.

RC

mmflanagan
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
4 posts this site

Christmas Vacation:
Clark
: [a squirrel is loose in the house] Where is Eddie? He usually eats these goddam things.

Cousin Catherine: Not recently, Clark. He read that squirrels were high in cholesterol.

wink

rc229
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
64 posts this site
One of my favorite Christmas stories!
That and "It's A Wonderful Life"

RC

thegreatwhitebuffalo
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
240 posts this site
It's been about 5 years for me too,only because I don't have a place to hunt them anymore banghead.

jrpettit
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
1 posts this site
I will be hunting squirrel's again for the first time in over a decade.  I used to hunt the heck out of them and used it as a deer scouting technique.  Then I got into bow hunting and never looked back.  Now due to physical limitations caused by car wreck I will not be sitting in a tree stand watching these bushy tails run amuck.   I am looking forward to being in the woods and trying some different ways of cooking these on the grill.   West Virginia has some very good squirrel hunting available and it is a great way to relax.

thegreatwhitebuffalo
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
240 posts this site
Found a place to go finally and the first time out nothing,but my son got 2,next time I went by myself and got 2.

photo IMG_0952_zps29aa45f6.jpg

sg1d2
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
15 posts this site
Yesterday. Today we have a thunderstorm or I'd be out.biggrin  camprunamuck, I am right there with you. Love rabbits. and early season squirrel (started Aug. 15 here) retunes my woods eyes and ears after not hunting all summer. It takes some doing to hit a zippy little tree rat with a .22 when the leaves are all still on, and the mosquitos and flies are all over you. And I enjoy the challenge.

gfddc
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
1 posts this site
About 25 years.  Started thinking about doing it again.  What's the best rifle to use and why?

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15536 posts this site
gfddc, that's an open ended question that will surely generate many different responses........all based on personal preference and non on actual proven scientific studies.

MDMinn
6 Months
Premium Member
Guide
997 posts this site

gfddc wrote: About 25 years.  Started thinking about doing it again.  What's the best rifle to use and why?
Tradition says a 22 single shot bolt action.  Your local government may prevent you from using it in your yard.  Then the high power air rifles look appealing, but some localities frown on even those.  You might be able to go primitive and use a cross bow.  Where those are illegal a live trap and a 5 gallon bucket of water will have to do.

A double lung shot with a slow poke 800fps .17cal air pistol will kill squirrels.  Your subjective analysis will determine which is the best rifle.

-MD
Ever since Adam and Eve changed things, we have been trying to get back to utopia.