Hunting Club > Forums > Wingshooting > 12ft Boat Blind
JBdew
Apprentice
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
2 posts this site
12ft Boat Blind
Just picked up a 12ft. Jon Boat, anyone have ideas for a cheap blind to build for it?

jboshoven
6 Months
Premium Member
Guide
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
577 posts this site
Re: 12ft Boat Blind
I have a 16' Carolina Sciff (fiberglass) that I hunt dippers and sea ducks out of here in Maryland.  I mad my own blind by bolting a 2x4 across the back and front of the boat (aft and stern for the purest).  The 2x4s have stubs made of 3/4" conduit sticking up to which I attache (via long stainless steel screws, washers and nuts with nylon inserts) 1/2" conduit.  (Conduit is the galvanized stuff).  I bent the 1/2" stuff 90 degrees (gradual bend) to get around the corner to run the length of the boat.  I used conduit coupler to get the length I needed.  I attached a couple of legs to it to hold it up when set up and they swing out of the way so I can fold it down. I bought army surplus camo netting that I attach using zip ties to that it hang down to the water line of the boat.

If I could figure out how to post a freaking picture I could show you what it looks like.  If you send me a PM, I would be happy to email you some photos and a couple of sketches with parts list.  I will be putting it on my boat within the next month, but I think I could did up some old photos of it in the mean time.

The hardest thing to find is the camo netting at a reasonable price.  I just searched the internet until I found a deal.

BTW, my hunting partner's cousin calls my boat a ghetto boat and refuses  hunt from it.  He has the fancy Cabelas blind and netting that ran him about $800.  We kill a lot of ducks, so I am happy with my less then $200 set-up.

jack

grandpops
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
2106 posts this site

jboshoven wrote: I have a 16' Carolina Sciff (fiberglass) that I hunt dippers and sea ducks out of here in Maryland.  I mad my own blind by bolting a 2x4 across the back and front of the boat (aft and stern for the purest).  p.

jack
Stern and Bow.  The pointy end, at the front of a nautical craft is the bow, the flat end, at the back is the stern.  Fore and aft refers to the direction front and back.  So "aft and stern" both refer to the back.  ( Sorry, Uncle Sams canoe club - U.S. Navy)
Fred
Cleburne, Texas

A firearm is like a parachute, If you need one and don't have one, you may never need one again.

jboshoven
6 Months
Premium Member
Guide
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
577 posts this site
flatlanders.  know nothing about the mountains or the water. lol

thanks for the correction.

I tried to get into the Navel Academy when I was young, got an appointment, but turned out I am color blind, who knew.  Good thing I did not get in, the others would have had all kinds of fun at my expense.

jack

grandpops
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
2106 posts this site
That's odd.  My dad made a 30 year career in the Navy and he's been color blind as far back as I can remember.  I guess that's one of the differences between the academy and enlisted.
Fred
Cleburne, Texas

A firearm is like a parachute, If you need one and don't have one, you may never need one again.

edward0225
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
4 posts this site
you could use 3/4" or 1" emt condit and duck canvas and then cover with grasses of your choice.