Hunting Club > Forums > Predator/Varmint > Is the .204 Ruger To Small For 'Yotes?
grandpops
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
2095 posts this site
Re: Is the .204 Ruger To Small For 'Yotes?

MDMinn wrote:
bowhunter65 wrote:
I my self use my 30/30 with sabot loads 55gr v max in .223 cal and they are dead on !! 3850 fps and , I have killed them out there to 450yrds so far .. cooldevil
This load has got me curious for more details.  I have been trying for a wolf license in MN.  It would be nice to get longer range out of the model 94 30/30.

-MD
I tried the Remington Accelerator ammunition, back in the 70's when it was introduced, in both my Winchester 94 and my Marlin 336.  Accuracy suffered with this round, I couldn't get them to group any better than 6 inches at 100 yards (both rifles were scoped with 3x9 scopes).  I also had a concern about the nose of the spire pointed bullet seated against the primer of the round in front of it in the magazine tube.  I'm not sure if Remington still manufactures the Accelerator ammunition or not, but I haven't heard any thing about them in over twenty years.  You can buy the sabots and load your own, but I've never heard anyone except bowhunter65 that's had any success with them.
Fred
Cleburne, Texas

A firearm is like a parachute, If you need one and don't have one, you may never need one again.

MDMinn
6 Months
Premium Member
Guide
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
997 posts this site

".  I also had a concern about the nose of the spire pointed bullet seated against the primer of the round in front of it in the magazine tube.  "

Grandpops

I also had wondered about the bullet shape.  If you limit the gun to two rounds, 1 chamber + 1 mag it could be safely done.  I should probably move the discussion to the "'Reloading Forum"wink

-MD

Ever since Adam and Eve changed things, we have been trying to get back to utopia.

wichman32
Apprentice
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
9 posts this site
Its all about knowing your firearm and making a good shot. Ive killed a lot of coyotes with a 22 long rifle my brothers killed a lot with his 17hmr. He generally prefers his 257 Roberts and myself I have a lot of self load ballistic tip 150 grain ammunition for my 30-06 that I use specifically for dogs gophers porcupines pretty much anything that's a varmint. Don't like how the ballistic tip performed after contact on an elk so it is a varmint only load now

sg1d2
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
15 posts this site
No, it's not too small. I've heard of them being shot with .22LR. But I wouldn't suggest it. biggrin And, what kind of bullets are you talking? HP, FMJ, SP, JSP, expansion tips, frangible? It makes a difference. Shot placement really is key, though. Dogs can be hard to kill.