Hunting Club > Forums > Predator/Varmint > Perfect Hog Gun
BearNinja
7 Months
Premium Member
NAH Senior Editor
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
193 posts this site
Perfect Hog Gun
What's your idea of the perfect hog gun? Platform? Caliber?

I've found nothing I like better than the .450 Bushmaster for leveling hogs within 150 yards. It's like a .410 slug traveling at 2,200 fps. Total pork destruction.
Luke Hartle
Senior Editor and TV Host, North American Hunter

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
15595 posts this site
Re: Perfect Hog Gun
(1 vote)

The only hog I've ever killed was with a T/C Encore .308. My step-grandson killed a couple with his Savage 110 .7mm-08. If we are to believe Jim Shockey and Michael Waddel, they can be killed with an adult pellet gun, and I know quite a few folks who shoot 'em with .22 magnums and .17 hmrs. I would like to try 'em with my Bushmaster M4 shooting some 5.56 rounds, and of course if the opportunity presented itself I wouldn't hesitate to use the .220 swift. Besides, like everything else, I think shot placement is more important than cartridge.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

wweeks11
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
112 posts this site
I've used a model 597 Remington .22 lr in the past using CCI stingers. I have dropped them as far as 600'. I couldn't tell you much after that or how much farther it is good for. I have a Ruger America 30-06 I'm getting a little antsy about dropping something with it.
NAHC TROPHY LIFE MEMBER,NAFC,NRA,NAGR,TRCC

pigdynasty
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
6 posts this site
(1 vote)

NT I use a DPMS Panther in 308. I use 150gr ammo .Fast and nasty.

grandpops
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
2106 posts this site
I use what ever I've got with me at the time.  I've used anything from .22LR to .50 cal muzzleloader.  If I'm targeting piglets to smoke, I'll normally take my AR in 5.56, If I'm targeting larger hogs I'll normally take something in the .30 caliber spectrum.
Fred
Cleburne, Texas

A firearm is like a parachute, If you need one and don't have one, you may never need one again.

bowhunter65
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
27 posts this site

BearNinja wrote: What's your idea of the perfect hog gun? Platform? Caliber?

I've found nothing I like better than the .450 Bushmaster for leveling hogs within 150 yards. It's like a .410 slug traveling at 2,200 fps. Total pork destruction.
I my self love my M1 in 30/06 with 180gr matchkings or 168gr hornady GMX.. Dead Hog every time and , I can kill them at more than 150yrds that's for sure..cool

bowhunter65
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
27 posts this site
YES SIR GRANDPOP'S The 30 cal will take them down.. I use my M1 with 180 or 168gr bullets and they do go down fast..cool

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
41 posts this site
M1 Garand, hated that rifle. When I retired I bought one, every morning I run outside and pee on it - just to watch it rust.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

bowhunter65
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
27 posts this site
I love it because it's one rifle that will do the job and then some.. and you have 8 rounds of major kick ass !! yes it's heavy but , I have yet to find a bear that it won't stop.. to each his own is what , I say.. cooldevil

Shinesintx
68 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
6 posts this site

---------------------------------------------
--- JohnFP wrote:

M1 Garand, hated that rifle. When I retired I bought one, every morning I run outside and pee on it - just to watch it rust.

---------------------------------------------

Loved the story! LOL

Like an earlier poster said, pretty much anything that will go bang. It's all about shot placement. Personally, I prefer a bow as it's quieter and the hogs seem to stay on their same patterns after a kill. With a gun, their patterns seem to change. Granted, I only have 55 acres to hunt so I can't go get in another stand miles away.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet.

sbo1971
22 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
12 posts this site
Right now mine is a Weatherby  Vanguard S2 in 308, but I am hoping to give my AR-15 in .223 a try soon.

kiyote
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
2912 posts this site
ain't never seen a hog with a gun.
so goes the church ,so goes the nation

Lunkerdog
7 Months
Premium Member
Elite
8274 posts this site

kiyote wrote: ain't never seen a hog with a gun.
Ya didn't watch enough Porky Pig cartoons as a kidcool

MDMinn
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
1006 posts this site

Lunkerdog wrote:
kiyote wrote: ain't never seen a hog with a gun.
Ya didn't watch enough Porky Pig cartoons as a kidcool
LD,

I think you got confused.

We'll keep it quite.

-MD
Ever since Adam and Eve changed things, we have been trying to get back to utopia.

MDMinn
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
1006 posts this site
LD,

On second perusal of images it appears  your were correct. redface Porky did hunt Daffy.

-MD

Ever since Adam and Eve changed things, we have been trying to get back to utopia.

Lunkerdog
7 Months
Premium Member
Elite
8274 posts this site
Mark, for some reason I'm also having memories of Porky as an old West sheriff too... But that may be an old timers false flashbackeek

kiyote
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
2912 posts this site
ya got me ,LD. I never noticed before but elmer and porky look like they are related. ebedebedebthat,s all folks!
so goes the church ,so goes the nation

Big Dawg
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
10660 posts this site
wweeks11 you must be confused or something as there is no way you have killed a hog at 600 yards with a .22LR round ! Good Lord it would not have enough power left to even penetrate the skin must less kill the hog !!!!! I call BS on your post ! Not trying to start trouble but am keeping it real.

camprunamuk
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
75 posts this site
His post says 600 feet , but I'm with you , that's still horse hockey . 200 yards with a .22lr wouldn't even piss a hog off , much less kill it . I used to use my .223 a lot for hogs when I lived in Texas , but at 200 yards I'd want to step THAT up to a .308 or an '06
............................................................................................................................

There's magic in a good , old honest shotgun . Give me a gun with a little character , and I'll try to honor it's history .

rc229
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
65 posts this site
We used to shoot them with a 22LR but it was at 2 feet not 200.
Of course we also sometimes used a sledge hammer.

RC

Big Dawg
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
10660 posts this site
Definitely whether it be 600 yards or 600 feet ( 200 yards ) it is not happening as the .22 at that range does NOT have enough left to enter the ear and penetrate enough to hit the brain. And this is going on the assumption that he could even put a round into the ear at that range with a .22. Does he have any idea as to the drop involved with the .22 at 200 yards ? I think not as evidenced by his post here. We had a feller on here many years ago that would make claims that were not only unbelievable but ludicrous as well. He said he killed deer regularly at ranges of 100 yards plus with a compound bow. Now I can hit an archery target at 100 yards with a bow under ideal conditions but not in the center regularly enough to warrant even attempting to shoot at an animal at that range. I can shoot into a 4" circle with my scoped crossbow at ranges out to 65 yards but I have never and will never shoot at a game animal at hat range. Even shooting with the scope I will not shoot over 40-45 yards maximum and that is under ideal conditions ie. no wind, with a rest, and without the deer having a clue I am there. If you are going to blow smoke ( BS ) at folk then be sure and don't blow it in their faces !

mowgle
6 Months
Premium Member
Guide
745 posts this site
Posting this for 2 reasons. Shooting a 22at 200yds. Also if you check out his vids you will most likely find some of your carry ammo tested and a few rifle ammo tested. This guy is a good shot so check out the spread of his shots. I also noticed how much the bullets flattened.  . Still not something I would like to try.

Tks for reading                                                   Joe

youtube.com/watch?v=Ds0IOBjF_FQ

rc229
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
65 posts this site
How about a Mini30 with 7.62 .X 39 Soft Nose Round points.
That should mushroom pretty good.

RC

Bobowsm300
Apprentice
6 posts this site
rolleyes  I enjoyed reading these posts,,, My idear of the perfect hog gun is one of a caliber, size and weight someone can handle and shoot well, but not anything smaller than any center fire rifle, like the .222,223,22  Jet, .22  Hornet or even the 17 rem.for anything past 50 Yards.,  The most important thing is to select a caliber/bullet tough enought to make humain kills! That will depend upon your shot choice,  head shots, lighter bulletscalibers/body or shoulder shots you need tougher bullets to penitrate to the vitals...   Now days the bullet manifactures make plenty of ttough bullets in all calibers for hog hunting.biggrin The most important thing is selecting a caliber ang gun combination you can shoot comfortibly and make consintant hits with... a hit in the head with a .22 is better than a miss with cannon.....lolwink.
NAHC TROPHY LIFE MEMBER/NAFC LIFE MEMBER

savagebrother
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
5 posts this site
Rc229 it definitely is the perfect round but in this gun! Even with just a 10.25" barrel 123 grain soft points still leave the muzzle at 2100-2150 FPS, this is also is a pistol, but per BATFE you can shoulder it legally. I call it the sausage maker. I have a Russian PKA red dot on it now, so it's extremely quick on target hits hard but the recoil is very manageable.
[URL=s3.photobucket.com/user/savage...jpg[/IMG][/URL]

savagebrother
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
5 posts this site

savagebrother
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
5 posts this site

savagebrother
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
5 posts this site
Ok tried three times to post picks sorry

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
15595 posts this site
You will need to go to the "Reply to topic" screen type a comment and then select the "html" link at the top right corner, then from photobucket select the "html" link, copy and paste, and then select "complete" at the bottom left hand corner of the html box.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

savagebrother
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
5 posts this site
thanks

M-92-1 photo IMG_0983_zps81d911b7.jpg