When they come for mine they better bring theirs

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.6/5 this site
15591 posts this site
Re: Coyotes, Dead or Alive
I don't care what I'm hunting, I'll always take a shot at a 'yote even if it screws up the hunt. Every dead 'yote is another fawn or turkey saved!!!! Thankfully, here in SC, there is no closed season or limits since they are considered an invasive species, and we can even get permits to shoot 'em at night with rimfire, shotguns without buckshot or slugs, and any type of stick and string.........the only limitations are on the type of light that's legal.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
41 posts this site
You may want to consider taking a shot at land developer, real estate agents, home builders and the like. They are doing more harm to deer and turkey than the coyotes.

RHOLCOMB
Meat Eater
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
162 posts this site
Those are some nice looking coyotes. How far were they when you snapped the picture of them standing together? Did they come in together?

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site
Yes, they came in together. Was probably less than thirty yards. The lead coyote is the bitch and the other the dog. She is focused on me and he has no clue.

BearNinja
7 Months
Premium Member
NAH Senior Editor
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
193 posts this site
I love that no one respects coyotes just because they're a "junk animal." True, they're not as coveted as whitetails, but anyone would be a fool to think that automatically makes them an easy hunt. 

I love calling and hunting coyotes ... way more than I do turkeys. Turkeys come to the call looking for love, coyotes come looking to kill.
Luke Hartle
Senior Editor and TV Host, North American Hunter

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site
Luke - Truth be known they are, in my opinon, harder to hunt than a whitetail and therefor should be coveted just as much.  I have "almost" given up deer hunting and spend most of my time now a days calling predators.  

P.S.  Using turkey calls is also a good way to call coyotes.surprised

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15591 posts this site
I need to set up and get this one Image and video hosting by TinyPic
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

rc229
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
65 posts this site
What did you take them with?

RC

wichman32
Apprentice
9 posts this site

Come get a wolf tag in MT! Sit through a couple hour class get a trappers license and get 3 tags and fill them man. I don't know a resident in this state that wanted them reintroduced and now they are severely depleting our deer and elk herds in western MT although fwp wont admit it. We welcome anybody who can afford to come hunt them to do so. Plus that would be an awesome full body mount.

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site

rc229 wrote: What did you take them with?

RC
If you're referring to my two post the first two were taken with my little Sako Vixen in .223, the other two were taken with my Pentax istD.

JohnFP
6 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
41 posts this site

wichman32 wrote:

Come get a wolf tag in MT! Sit through a couple hour class get a trappers license and get 3 tags and fill them man. I don't know a resident in this state that wanted them reintroduced and now they are severely depleting our deer and elk herds in western MT although fwp wont admit it. We welcome anybody who can afford to come hunt them to do so. Plus that would be an awesome full body mount.

I would love to come on up there on a wolf hunt.  My calling partner and I have been discussing it.  Had been thinking about an African hunt but due to circumstance beyond my control that will not happen.  Let's stay in touch in case we can come up you can maybe point us in the right direction.

kiyote
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
2905 posts this site

BearNinja wrote: I love that no one respects coyotes just because they're a "junk animal." True, they're not as coveted as whitetails, but anyone would be a fool to think that automatically makes them an easy hunt. 

I love calling and hunting coyotes ... way more than I do turkeys. Turkeys come to the call looking for love, coyotes come looking to kill.

I agree, and would go a step farther and state that I enjoy hunting coyotes more then I do big game animals. I love calling them in so close you could smack em with a bat
so goes the church ,so goes the nation

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15591 posts this site
I enjoy shooting 'em with a handgun as much as any other method.

pcrannel
6 Months
Premium Member
Marksman
297 posts this site

wichman32 wrote:

New York reintroduced coyotes about 20 years ago. I can't imagine why they thought we needed them. Now they are like rats, everywhere. even in cities. They were protected for years. Now there is a six month long season. It should be year around.
The reason there are so many old cynics in the world is, cynics live longer.

cayote
Apprentice
21 posts this site
My coyote numbers just hit 230 last week and the calling was good two days and bad two days.Called in at least 20 coyoyes and got 8 wind was the problem as always. good calling to all.

thegreatwhitebuffalo
6 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
242 posts this site

BearNinja wrote: I love that no one respects coyotes just because they're a "junk animal." True, they're not as coveted as whitetails, but anyone would be a fool to think that automatically makes them an easy hunt. 

I agree,I've taken several deer over the years but am having no luck with the coyotes. I've been hunting them 5 years now and haven't gotten a shot yet. I'm not sure what the problem is.banghead Hopefully my knew setup will work this year.

rthomas4
6 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15591 posts this site
The biggest obstacle in hunting 'yotes is simply being in the wrong location. Being pack animals, they move often and where you find them today, probably won't be the place to set up and call 'em tomorrow.

kiyote
6 Months
Premium Member
Pro
2905 posts this site
they are like any other animal . learn thier patterns and habits and you will have success
so goes the church ,so goes the nation