Hunting Club > Forums > Predator/Varmint > You Call The Shots: Coyotes
BenG1
8 Months
Premium Member
Sr. Digital Editor
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
70 posts this site
You Call The Shots: Coyotes
Take a look at the recent  YCTS post here and let us know if agree with Dave, Gordy and Mark. Maybe you have a completely different take on coyote hunting. We want to know.

Let  'er rip!
Ben Gustafson - Senior Digital Editor NAH and NAF

rthomas4
5 Months
Premium Member
Elite
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
15533 posts this site
Re: You Call The Shots: Coyotes
Personally, I'll take a shot on a 'yote as soon as it stops, because when they stop it's not but a few seconds before they're moving again. If I kill him dead in his tracks, that's a plus. If I hurt him bad enough and he runs off, I don't mind since odds are it's going to die anyhow. I don't hunt 'em for the hides, and we don't have a bounty system in SC. I hunt and shoot 'em in order to eliminate 'em. The farthest shot I've ever dropped one in it's tracks was 285 yards with a .308.  I've killed some at about 15 yards with a shotgun while turkey hunting or deer hunting; but most shots are between 60 and 100 yards. The closest I've ever dropped one with a handgun was last Friday at about 20 yards with an XDs .45, and I managed to kill two out of 5 and crippled a third one in that instance.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

mowgle
5 Months
Premium Member
Guide
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
741 posts this site
Most of my shots are from 2 to 4 hundred yds. Personally I would shoot them at what ever range or weapon I could. They have killed all my turkeys and a lot of fawns around here.

rc229
5 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
64 posts this site
I hate to cripple any animal but the yote is a menace to the deer and antelope out here.
I'd take even a marginal shot.

RC

kiyote
5 Months
Premium Member
Pro
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
2879 posts this site
NO LEAD, NO DEAD
so goes the church ,so goes the nation

rthomas4
5 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15533 posts this site
rc229, since 'yotes are opportunistic feeders, as well as cannibalistic, I figure if I just wound one, the others will finish it off anyhow!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, DU, NWTF, QDMA, EDH, MFH, ASA, NAGR, SAF, GOA, Palmetto Gun Rights

gzeke33
5 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
2 posts this site
How much are they a problem in different pats of the country?

rthomas4
5 Months
Premium Member
Elite
15533 posts this site
Down in the Southeast, it's a toss up as to which is worse; 'yotes, hogs, or beaver!

kiyote
5 Months
Premium Member
Pro
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
2879 posts this site
beavers killed more men then yotes-n hogs combinedohlord
so goes the church ,so goes the nation

thegreatwhitebuffalo
5 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
240 posts this site
I haven't done any shooting beyond 100 yards so I would try to call it in closer,if it just won't come then I would probably try and hope for the best.

olecoot
5 Months
Premium Member
Guide
678 posts this site
Heck yeah I'd take both those shots in a hot second

PPOLIZZO
5 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
4 posts this site
(1 vote)

Knowing your rifle and shot placement at that range and they stop.  " Dead Coyote"- with my 22-250 with 50 gr. SP..  Thanks and Good Luck and Safe shooting...coloyankee

wichman32
Apprentice
9 posts this site
I agree with knowing how your rifle shoots is 1st and foremost I don't care how far they are as long as the skyline is clear of houses farms cities or anything I can see Im shooting. My personal best was with my 30-06 loaded with 150 grain ballistic tip at 400 yards on a dead run from left to right on a very windy MT day and cheered like crazy when I saw him pile up.

LangInGibsonia
5 Months
Premium Member
Meat Eater
164 posts this site
No offense, but unless you are a highly trained professional sniper, and maybe you are, I think you got lucky.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” — 
Henry David Thoreau

sg1d2
5 Months
Premium Member
Apprentice
15 posts this site
I'd take them both. If I ever got one that far. biggrin Most of them around here (NE Indiana)  just POP out of a cornfield or the woods.eek